Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Trayvon Martin

Over the last few weeks, America and the media have been on fire over the recent verdict in the Trayvon Martin case. People are protesting and boycotting the state of Florida. I have not spoken out but rather listened and read the opinions of others. This post is not to influence others but my OPINION. You are welcomed to post your own.
Do I think that George Zimmerman was guilty? Yes, I do. I do not question that one bit.
 Did I think he was going to be found guilty? No, I didn’t.  I have been let down too many times to expect anything different.
Did I think the prosecution did their job? No, they did not find justice for Trayvon or any other black child that this horrible act happens too.
Will I boycott Florida? No, I will not. My family lives in Florida. Despite this tragedy, I still have a family to love on. Plus they still have to live and work in Florida. It makes sense on the bigger scale to not vacation in Florida but I can’t all together avoid the state.
Do I agree with those boycotting and protesting? Protesting, I agree 100%. We have to use our voice that we worked so hard to get. However, let’s keep these protests peaceful so that we can heard. Don’t tear down your own neighborhood.  That’s what history tells us we don’t go into the politician and law makers’ neighborhood and tear shit up so why do it in our own neighborhoods. We are left mad because they don’t want to come and clean up OUR mess.  So let’s focus on getting the issues on the table and making meaningful changes for us and our children.
Boycotting- I applaud the celebrities for taking a stand. As stated above, I will visit Florida. I don’t have to support the tourist attractions. I want those around me to understand that boycotting Florida means that you want to see a change and not a trend.  A young man (child) was killed by an overzealous neighborhood watchman (coward) and he twisted the law to save himself. Now the media is strategically setting him to save lives when he could have spared Trayvon’s. We should question his morals.
What do I want to see happen?  I want to see law changes and people uniting because we do have a problem in America.  We need to take a closer look at who we vote into office. These people are the ones saying these laws are ok. I know …the President. Remember he is voted in based on electoral votes and not the popular vote like our Congress and Senate. Pay attention to what they are saying. Are they speaking in favor of your views? If not get someone in who will have a voice for those they represent.
I DON’T EVER WANT ANYONE TO THINK THAT IT IS OK TO SHOOT AN UNARMED CHILD BECAUSE YOU FEEL THREATEN.
Post your thoughts.
Enjoy and Smooches
Purple Cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment