Thursday, September 29, 2011

Assume your position?


How much does your position at work say about you?  Does your position dictate how your co-workers treat you? Does your personality play a role in staying in your position?
           
Many of my friends have no clue what my position is at my company. I don’t think I ever really told them. Am I ashamed? Sort of, I guess you could call it that. It has nothing to do with the company. I personally don’t feel like I am operating in my gifts. I have a few associates who like to undermine my position and my education. Thank God, I am working. I also understand the economic climate. This right here what I am doing is just not good enough for me. I am not satisfied. I believe it shows on my face. My co-workers don’t make it any easier as they press their minute demands upon me. Wait what am I? I am an Administrative Assistant in Learning and Development for a large company.  I never would have thought after all my degrees I would be here. Did I say THANK GOD FOR A JOB?  This is not a post to complain. I just wonder what my co-workers assume of me.  Do they think I am lazy?  Do they think this is all I set out to do because I walk around with a big goofy smile on my face?  No, we don’t have coffee chats about my future, but I am curious to know. The one thing that I do know is they think I am some “Coffee Replenishing- PO Pushing- Delivery Making- Birthday Cake Buying- Lunch Providing” woman.  Oh, I forget to mention “Soul Sista”. I have to chat about that later. Cocoa (my afro)  and I get all kinds of assumptions

            So after all my ramblings, do you let you position determine your fate at work?  I do like to think of myself as an integral part of the department. I will have 10 grumpy old men stomping about the building if I don’t order coffee. I would hate to think what would happen if we celebrate June birthdays and not Julys.  Personally I have never seen a bunch of people get worked up over a birthday card. They were so worked up that it was in my performance review this past month. Really!?! What category does that fall under on a resume?  Heck yeah, I laughed at that foolishness too. This proves my point! They don’t think of me past the title of my position.

So weigh in ~

All the education in the world can’t earn you respect.

Smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment